Tahltan territory is located in northern British Columbia, Canada and encompasses about 93,500 square kilometres.
The north/western border runs parallel to the Alaskan/Canadian border, and includes part of the Yukon Territory. The south/eastern border includes the upper Nass tributaries and western half of the Stikine plateau, including the sacred headwaters of the Stikine, Nass and Skeena rivers.
Tahltans currently make up over half of the residents in Tahltan territory, dispersed between three main communities: Telegraph Creek, Dease Lake and Iskut.
The community of Iskut is located 65 Km south of Dease Lake and is the home of the Iskut First Nation. Situated between Mount Edziza and Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Park, its 648 residents enjoy access to vast areas of pristine wilderness. Rafting, Canoeing, Kayaking, hiking and camping are just some of the activities enjoyed by visitors. Iskut is home to the famous Barrage Burn, a huckleberry patch known to be the largest in the province, created from a fire sparked by lightning in 1958. See the information package given by the Province as below:
Dease Lake began its existence as a trading post started by the Hudsons Bay Company in 1837. It would become a stopping point for prospectors heading north for the Stikine, Cassiar, and Klondike gold rushes. Dease Lake is located about 50 km north of the Stikine River and is the junction to Telegraph Creek. Today the town is considered the government centre and supply point for the district. The present population numbers around 475 of which approximately 45% are Tahltan.
The modern history of Telegraph Creek dates to the 1860’s with the Stikine and Cassiar gold rushes. These events led to the first major influx of non-Tahltan people into their territories. As its name suggests, Telegraph Creek was named for an overland telegraph line that was to connect southern Canada to the Yukon. Construction of the line was started in 1866 and finished in 1901. It fell into disuse with the increasingly widespread use of wireless radio communication in the 1930’s. The main reserves of the Tahltan First Nation are located in Telegraph Creek and today the town is home to about 400 residents, of which approximately 350 are of Tahltan ancestry.