TNDC is seeking an Expression of Interest from individuals to serve as Directors on TNDC’s Board of Directors.
TNDC is a wholly-owned company of the Iskut Band, Tahltan Band and the Tahltan Central Government (the “Shareholders”) and is the business arm of the Tahltan Nation. TNDC’s mandate is to maintain a profitable organization while generating wealth, and economic, employment and training opportunities for the Tahltan
Nation while following Tahltan values.
The Shareholders have asked the TCG’s Executive Director, Calvin Carlick, to coordinate the gathering of Expressions of Interest for the currently vacant TNDC Board positions.
The following summarizes the application process:
- Please submit your Expression of Interest in the form provided along with your resume by 6:00 pm on Sunday, January 24, 2021.
- Only those who submit an Expression of Interest will be considered (including existing Directors wishing to be reappointed).
- Applicants may be asked to attend an interview with the Shareholders.
- The Shareholders will make all final decisions on TNDC Board appointments.
- TNDC Board members are generally not individuals elected or appointed to a Tahltan political body.
- Directors typically serve a two-year term and may be reappointed for additional terms at the discretion of the Shareholders.
In nominating and appointing Directors, the Shareholders generally seek out
candidates with the following skills, experience and attributes:
- seasoned business or professional experience in entrepreneurship, accounting, legal, environmental, human resources, finance, marketing, board governance and industry sector expertise;
- board experience at the policy making level in business, finance, or governance;
- willingness to devote the time required to carry out directors duties;
- expertise that is useful to TNDC and complimentary to the background and experience of the other directors;
- an understanding of Tahltan issues and culture, and experience in dealing with First Nations;
- expertise that is useful to TNDC and complimentary to the background and experience of the other Directors;
- sound personal and professional integrity, inquiring and independent mind, practical wisdom and mature judgment; and
- participate in regular communication and collaboration efforts between TNDC and the Shareholders for the benefit of the Tahltan people.
Roles and Responsibilities
Each Director and the Board as a whole is responsible for:
- understanding and representing the interests of the Shareholders;
- adhering to all the TNDC Articles of Incorporation and all agreements, laws and policies that apply to TNDC, including the Code of Conduct attached as Appendix A;
- developing (with the CEO) a 3-year strategic plan and performance framework to monitor progress against the 3-year strategic plan;
- monitoring the overall performance of TNDC and the CEO to ensure that it is in line with the 3-year Strategic Plan, annual operating plan and budget;
- representing the TNDC in a positive manner to the public;
- making best efforts to adhere to Shareholders’ formal resolution and recommendations with respect to development within the Tahltan Territory;
- providing support to the CEO as required in the negotiation of joint ventures and other business arrangements with other companies;
- regularly attending Annual General Meetings of TNDC;
- practicing risk management through the development of effective internal controls and policies;
- proactively communicating and matiaing a positive relationship with the Shareholders and Tahltan people; and,
- conducting or participating in periodic evaluations.