The Wildlife/Land Guardians are responsible for collecting morel mushroom and wildlife harvest information, communicating with and educating Tahltan citizens, and the general public, regarding various wildlife/hunting issues/concerns. This year we are hiring our Guardians early to monitor Morel Mushroom Harvesting. Guardians are responsible for educational awareness and compliance programs within Tahltan Territory and act as a liaison to enforcement personnel. Guardians are required to work in any whether condition; and must be willing to work overtime.
- Collect data from mushroom harvesters and hunters (i.e. harvest numbers, wildlife health, etc.)
- Maintain a database of harvest numbers
- Receive reports on poaching, or other concerns, regarding improper harvesting, discuss inappropriate harvesting with identified citizens or consult with government enforcement personnel about the situation
- Conduct field patrols
- Mapping and noting GPS locations of field observation and patrol routes
- Consult with enforcement personnel about harvesting issues and develop ways to address problems
- Educate and inform Tahltan citizens, and recreational users, on conservation, harvesting, enforcement and compliance, and wildlife/wilderness related issues
- Issue public reports and warnings of dangerous animal sightings that could affect safety of people and equipment
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be added or modified as required throughout the course of employment.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Ability to communicate effectively with people
- Ability to use GPS software, read and understand topographical maps
- Ability to be self-sufficient in the wilderness while using satellite phone/inReach and ATV
- Possess PAL (Possession/Acquisition License)
- Class 5 driver’s license
Duration and Work Hours:
- 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday, however it is the nature of the position to work beyond regular office hours as well as weekends. Travelling may also be required.
- May till October, 2019 (could potentially go longer)
- Based out of Telegraph Creek; (personal vehicle is an asset, as mileage will be paid)
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Expires – May 17, 2019